We just pushed an update to alpha testers (Build 53, r21752 r21804) which introduces many new features and enhancements. As always, you can read the entire list of enhancements on our Change Log. Notable changes include:
- Lowered Digsby’s CPU usage by about 30% (tech jargon: switched from Python 2.5 to 2.6 and moved to the Intel compiler)
- Improved the reliability and speed of file transfers for both AIM and MSN protocols
- Added an option for new IM windows to start hidden and blink the tray icon instead of popping up a window
- Added support for setting status on your MySpace account
- Added new emoticon packs and changed the default emoticon pack
- The infobox now uses the same user interface control as the IM window. This will make it much faster and more versatile
- Added support for Google Talk shared-status so Gtalk accounts now support the “Invisible” status
This release is packed full of new features so we are expecting some new bugs to pop up. If you experience any issues please use “Help > Send Bug Report” in the main menu to submit a diagnostic log or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This update is pretty large (13.2 MB) so the auto-update may take some time. We are going to change how the auto-update system works in the future so Digsby logs in and then downloads updates unless there are critical protocol fixes. It will then apply the update next time you run Digsby. This way logging in is never delayed.
If you would like to become an alpha tester and get new releases before everyone else, download this file and place it in the main program folder. Keep in mind that as an alpha tester you may get a release with a few bugs every now and then. We are looking for people who are proactive in reporting these issues so we can fix them before builds go out to all users.
Update (4/30/09 2:00pm): Thank you all for helping test this new alpha release. We just pushed out a patch fixing most of the issues reported and are working on fixing the remaining bugs now. The new release number is r21804 and includes the following fixes:
- Fixed a bug that caused some services to fail to connect when connecting through a proxy
- Fixed a bug that caused Google Talk to fail to connect if your firewall blocks the default port it tries
- Fixed a bug that caused your MySpace status to clear when you click “Cancel” instead of just leaving the status untouched
- Fixed a bug that caused conversation log files to load as gibberish into the IM window when the conversation was in a language other than English
- Fixed a bug that caused AIM status messages and profiles to show without the background color in the infobox
- Fixed a bug that caused your font selection in Preferences > Conversations to not save when you changed it
- Fixed a bug that caused the bottom of the infobox to not show a border
- Fixed a few bugs with AIM file transfers
- Fixed a bug with the new hidden conversations feature that caused incoming IMs to show twice in the IM window when you click the tray icon