We’re excited to release Build 85 (r29036 r29086) to all users which includes lots of major usability improvements, new features, bug fixes, and enhancements. As always, you can read the entire list of enhancements on our Change Log. Notable changes include:
- Auto-Update System: We have a brand new auto-update system in Digsby. Updates are now downloaded *after* you log in rather than before. They are then applied next time you restart Digsby so downloading updates never gets in your way. You can also choose whether to automatically download new updates in “Preferences > General & Profile”. Lastly, clicking “Help > About” will check to see if your Digsby is up to date or if new updates are available for download.
- Accounts Section: We redesigned the Accounts section in Preferences from the ground up to reflect Services you use with features that you can enable and disable for each service. This is much more intuitive than having three separate lists of IM, email, and social network accounts. For example, you don’t need to add your Gtalk and Gmail accounts or your Facebook Chat and Facebook Newsfeed accounts separately any more.
- Email/Social Panels: The email and social network panels on the buddy list got a makeover. They now say the service name instead of the login username when you only have one of each service. If you have more than one of any service, they fall back to the login username as before. You can also rename them manually via the right click menu. Lastly, they can now be rearrange via drag and drop (although you can’t intermix email and social accounts as each one is a separate list).
- Sorting/Grouping: We changed how grouping and sorting options work in “Preferences > Buddy List”. The new set of options is more intuitive by letting you choose the grouping mechanism first and then choosing how to sort those groups. It also allows for an extra level of sorting as a result.
- RTL Support: We added RTL support to all of the IM window conversation themes. They determine how to align the messages based on the first character of each IM. The input box in newly created IM windows also automatically sets the RTL option based on your current keyboard setting.
- ICQ Spam Blocker: We added an option in the Privacy settings for ICQ accounts to automatically block friend requests with URLs in them. This option is ON by default and should help cut down on ICQ spam significantly.
- Stability: We fixed several memory leaks related to account disconnects along with several of the most common crash causing bugs to improve Digsby stability and performance.
If you run into any bugs please use “Help > Send Bug Report” in the main menu to submit a diagnostic log or email us at email@example.com. We’ll keep pushing to make Digsby even better and greatly appreciate your help in spreading the word!
Update 1 (11/24/2010 8:30am EST): We just pushed out a small patch (r29075) to ALPHA testers which includes fixes for bugs reported in this release. It will go out to all users later today once we confirm that it’s bug free. Changes include:
- Fixed a bug that caused the Facebook login page to show a “flow error”
- Fixed a bug that caused the registration “done” page to open in default browser
- Fixed a bug that caused timestamps for group chat logs to be off by one month
- Fixed a bug that made it possible to try to log in without typing a password
- Fixed a bug that caused the auto-updater to loop if you deny it UAC permissions
- Fixed a bug that caused scrollbars to appear for each IM in a conversation
- Fixed a bug that caused accounts not to load at all for a small portion of people
- Make sure that system caching doesn’t interfere with auto-updates
- Added compatibility for upcoming Twitter API changes
Update 2 (11/24/2010 1:45pm EST): One more small patch (r29081) to ALPHA testers fixing a few bugs with the Twitter updates from this morning. This build will go live to all users later today assuming no new bugs get reported.
Update 3 (11/24/2010 4:15pm EST): We just pushed the above fixes to all users! The new release number for this build is r29086. Happy Thanksgiving!