We just pushed out Build 86 (r29190 r29264 r29276) to ALPHA testers which includes lots of bug fixes, and enhancements. As always, you can read the entire list of enhancements on our Change Log. Notable changes include:
We have always worked hard to make Digsby the best IM client on the market while keeping Digsby free for all users. Part of that effort includes finding ways to accelerate our development process so we can continue making Digsby even better. Introducing advertisements as a revenue model can potentially help us expand our team so we can continue improving Digsby while also dedicating more resources to finally launching Digsby on other platforms like Mac, Linux, and mobile devices.
We’re testing the waters with advertising as a revenue model today by introducing a single display ad at the bottom of the IM window (example below). We feel strongly about keeping the buddy list ad-free. In debating how this implementation should work, we quickly decided that there needs to be a way to disable ads since some users really dislike them and are adamant about maintaining a minimalist user interface. The first idea was to do a “freemium” model under which there was a paid “Pro Version” of Digsby which comes without the ads. However, we have always strived to keep Digsby free for all users so we instead decided to try something unique. The ads in the IM window are completely optional for all users and they can be enabled/disabled via the top option in Preferences > Conversations. Essentially, every user gets the “Pro Version” for free if they find the ads too intrusive or annoying and wish to turn them off. Power to the users!
Since we are launching this to only ALPHA testers right now, we would greatly appreciate it if you leave the ads turned on at least until the release goes live to all users so we have as many people as possible testing out the implementation.
There was a protocol change with Twitter which caused several adverse effects including repeating popups, tweets out of order, and missing tweets – all of which should now be fixed in this release.
We’d like to get this build stabilized as quickly as possible so we can get it released to all users so if you run into any bugs please use “Help > Send Bug Report” in the main menu to submit a diagnostic log or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’ll keep pushing to make Digsby even better and greatly appreciate your help in spreading the word!
If you would like to become an alpha tester and get new releases before everyone else, download this file and place it in the main program folder. Keep in mind that as an alpha tester you may get a release with a few bugs every now and then. We are looking for people who are proactive in reporting these issues so we can fix them before builds go out to all users.
Update 1 (12/8/2010 3:30pm EST): We just pushed out a patch to ALPHA testers fixing all the issues that have been reported so far. Let us know if you run into more bugs or low quality (ie: flashy/shaky/audio) ads so we can get this release wrapped up and pushed out to all users. The new release number is 29264 and changes include:
- Fixed a few crash causing bug related to the new ads
- Fixed a bug that caused IM windows to freeze in Windows Vista with Glass off
- Fixed a bug that caused auto-update popups to ignore the preference to disable popups when running full screen apps
- Fixed a bug that caused Digsby to die if it can’t launch the auto-updater due to a windows permissions error
- Fixed a bug that caused AIM accounts to fail to log in if you add them with @aim.com or @aol.com at the end
- Fixed a bug with wrapping in the “Smooth Separate Lines” conversation theme
- Fixed a couple small bugs with ad refresh timers and triggers
- Fixed a bug that made IM window tab creation to go into a spin in rare cases
- Made a few small changes to LinkedIn in preparation to an upcoming API change
- Added “Show Friendship” links to the wall posts on the Facebook newsfeed
Update 2 (12/9/2010 5:00pm EST): A couple more fixes in preparation for a full release. Let us know if you run into any final issues. The new release number is 29276 and the changes include:
- Fixed a bug that caused ads to open twice in your web browser on click
- Fixed a wrapping bug with the “Smooth Separate Lines” conversation theme